By Franka Kermer
This quantity hyperlinks Cognitive Grammar reasons to the world of second-language studying and advised grammar instructing. It represents a contribution to empirically dependent wisdom selling a brand new point of view at the technique of instructing and studying approximately English language constructions. The theoretical a part of the ebook offers an outline of the elemental tenets of Cognitive Grammar, and discusses parts of the idea which are of the most important value for realizing English stressful and point constructions. the second one half brings jointly those fields of research and assessments a Cognitive Grammar method of educating demanding and point to much less complicated inexperienced persons of English. To this finish, an experimental learn used to be carried out, evaluating the results of Cognitive Grammar-inspired guideline at the language studying procedure with these of educating tools which hire extra conventional grammatical descriptions. As such, the ebook is of specific relevance to Cognitive Grammar study, and second-language studying and educating examine, and for freshmen and academics of a international language.
Read Online or Download A Cognitive Grammar Approach to Teaching Tense and Aspect in the L2 Context PDF
Similar linguistics books
This ebook units a excessive usual for rigor and clinical method of the examine of bilingualism and gives new insights in regards to the severe problems with concept and perform, together with the interdependence of linguistic wisdom in bilinguals, the function of socioeconomic prestige, the impression of alternative language utilization styles in the house, and the function of education by means of single-language immersion in preference to systematic education in either domestic and aim languages.
This ebook was once initially released ahead of 1923, and represents a replica of a major ancient paintings, preserving an identical structure because the unique paintings. whereas a few publishers have opted to practice OCR (optical personality reputation) know-how to the method, we think this results in sub-optimal effects (frequent typographical error, unusual characters and complicated formatting) and doesn't effectively shield the historic personality of the unique artifact.
[v. 1. ] devices 1-10. --[v. 2. ] devices 11-20.
- Language, Frogs and Savants: More Linguistic Problems, Puzzles and Polemics
- Types of the Short Story, Selected Stories with Reading Lists (The Lake English Classics)
- Morecock, Fartwell, & Hoare: A Collection of Unfortunate but True Names
- Test Your Professional English - Bus General
- Language Variation u European Perspectives: Selected Papers from the Third International Conference on Language Variation in Europe (ICLaVE 3), Amsterdam, June 2005 (Studies in Language Variation)
- Theoretical Analyses in Romance Linguistics: Selected Papers from the Linguistic Symposium on Romance Languages XIX, Ohio State University, April 21-23, 1989
Additional info for A Cognitive Grammar Approach to Teaching Tense and Aspect in the L2 Context
7 embodies physical contact between the soap and the skin, with an intimate relation to the basic meaning of to in the sense that the soap is moving towards the skin. A consequence of two entities being in physical contact is that one of them is attached to or combined with the other one, such that the first entity is perceived as reaching and being a part of the second entity. 8. Not only is the framework of CG capable of assigning semantic values to morphemes, but it is also able to ascribe a clearly defined meaning to larger grammatical structures.
The dynamic nature of meaning construction has an important consequence for how knowledge of language is organised. 2). The entity that stands out against the base (cognitive background) is called the profile (Langacker, 2007, p. 435). The meaning of linguistic units does not consist in either the profile alone or the base alone but in both and each in relation to the other. 5. A central principle in characterising the semantic structure of symbolic units is that conceptualisation occurs in the context of presupposed background knowledge organisation (Clausner & Croft, 1999, p.
8. Not only is the framework of CG capable of assigning semantic values to morphemes, but it is also able to ascribe a clearly defined meaning to larger grammatical structures. More importantly, the CG characterisation of complex morphological or syntactic expressions is basically the same as for lexical and simple morphological items, where the semantic pole stands in a symbolic relation to the phonological pole. With the next example, I examine more closely the claim that larger linguistic units and their multiple meanings can be analysed on a conceptual level.
A Cognitive Grammar Approach to Teaching Tense and Aspect in the L2 Context by Franka Kermer